One thing we all appreciate about chicken is how nicely it can be transformed into something awesome and in pretty short order. This dish certainly fits that bill. It won't take you much more than 25 minutes to prepare and I'm confident how pleasantly surprised you'll be with the work / reward ratio of this dish. Key things to focus on are using a good smokey paprika and making sure you take the time to brown the onions well.
Gather the good stuff:
- 1 Tbsp butter or better
- Chicken legs and thighs. Enough to fill a big pan.
- 2 or 3 Yellow onions - sliced.
- 1 Tbs of paprika. I use smoked but you can use regular paprika as well
- 1 cup chicken broth at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
Putting this together
- Cut your chicken into thighs and drumsticks. Pat dry and salt well.
- Meanwhile slice your onions and set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a heavy pan on medium high heat .
- Fry chicken skin side down for 5 minutes or until skin easily lifts off the pan. Flip chicken and fry for another 3 minutes on the other side. Set aside on a plate.
- If necessary, drain off some but not all of the chicken fat. Add butter to the hot pan.
- Fry onions on medium heat for at least 7 minutes until soft and brown.
- Sprinkle paprika over onions. Fry for another 1-2 minutes
- Pour chicken broth over onions
- Nestle chicken into the broth / onion mixture
- turn the heat down to med / low and cover. Let simmer for 20-25 minutes
- Transfer chicken to a plate
- Whisk in sour cream and turn up heat. Allow to thicken as desired. Season with salt / pepper as needed
- Return chicken to the pan and cover with sauce